Totally Floored

Raising my babies is where I have invested my life and love for the past 21 years.  I know, I know, I don't look a day over 21 myself but I promise, It's true. I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't change a moment of it because as all parents know, raising humans certainly has its challenges. An example of something I might change is the keeping and caring of their bedrooms. 

When they were littles, their rooms were decorated so adorably and I kept them tidy all of the time. We went through many decor changes over the years. We had the secret garden bedroom, the mermaid bedroom, the baby farm bedroom, the tween boy bedroom (that's the one where everything is kind of gray and red because you don't really know how to make it cute), the mod bedroom, the lavender and mint green toile fancy bedroom and three sweet nurseries. There were others, but these are the ones that jump out at me. 

The 'kid" rooms of today are adaptations of some base style that has morphed into each of their own personal style. My baby girl, sweet Amy, is brilliant, kind, beautiful and quite untidy. They actually all are, but I'm picking on this baby today because her room is where an amazing transformation took place. Her floor. The 'before' was worn and stained carpet. She and I both wanted the 'after' to be something different and special.

download.jpg

We came up with a plan using 4 X 8 sheets of 3/4 inch cabinet grade plywood. We set up our table saw and ripped planks that were all 8 inches wide. We came up with that number because I wanted them to be wide and that left the least amount of wasted drop. (Drop is a word I learned from the hubs used to describe the leftover wood that's too tiny to be useful.) We said 'goodbye' to the old carpet and started laying our planks. 

IMG_7190.jpg

We were strategic in placing the planks in a staggered pattern. Greg made a template that we used to mark the boards at the spots where the screws should go so that they were uniform throughout the room.

This is Leah, our niece and next door neighbor, helping out. She's going to make an excellent supervisor one day. 

download (1).jpg

I noticed early on that there was a heart in the grain of one of the planks. We saved it and used it in a place where it was pretty prominent. I gave it three coats of poly before I put the finish on the floor to retain the original raw wood color. It's the little touches that make projects like this personal. It's positioned right by the door so my Amy sees it each time she passes through the threshold of her room. 

download (2).jpg

There are no photos of the next step which was caulking every. single. joint. This step wasn't part of the original plan but some of the joints were larger than others and that was hurting my brain. It was hard on the knees and back and took a looooong time BUT the finished look make it totally worth it. 

download (3).jpg

Behind all of the caulking was the white washing. I mixed white paint with water, I'd say close to a 50/50 ratio. It was thin and required two coats. The raw wood really soaked up the wash. I brushed it on and wiped it off and it was seriously messy. The last step was two coats of polyurethane. I used the matte finish on this project.

download (4).jpg

It came out beautiful and it feels so good underfoot. Our place has lots of different kinds of flooring and much of it needs replacing but this is my favorite in the whole house by far.

download (5).jpg
download (6).jpg
IMG_5218.jpg

Thanks for visiting. We are working all the time to make our blog and website more user friendly and interactive. If you have questions about this project or really anything, drop us and email. Y'all come back now. 

Emily,

YHG